If you or a loved one has suffered serious harm as a direct result of a medical negligence, consider the following steps:
- Seek legal advice as soon as possible. You have a limited amount of time in which to file a medical malpractice claim. Talk to an experienced attorney as soon as you suspect you may be a victim of medical malpractice. An attorney will be able to help you understand your legal options and provide the advice you need to make informed decisions about the best way to proceed with your case.
- Gather documents. Your attorney will need as much documentation as possible to evaluate your case, including:
- Medical records
- List of medical care providers, including the hospital or clinic where you received care
- List of prescription medications you’ve been taking and dosing information
- Any other paperwork or documentation requested by your attorney
Before meeting with your attorney, be sure to ask for the specific documentation they would like to have so you can be prepared for your initial consultation.
Donald A. Shapiro, Ltd. is a Chicago medical malpractice law firm that has been helping injured people fight for justice and compensation since 1978. We have been able to obtain record-breaking verdicts, resulting in millions of dollars for our clients. To schedule a free consultation with our medical malpractice lawyer, contact us today.